The USGA always loves high scores at the US Open and that will be easily accomplished this year as the event will be played at the very difficult Oakmont. It was last held there in 2007 when Angel Cabrera came out on top with a score of 5 over par. Cabrera has a reputation for hitting it long, but the leaderboard was filled with names like Furyk, Toms, Verplank, Stricker and Janzen as well in 2007, proving it takes more than a bomber to compete here.
The top three players in the world are all playing well and any of them could certainly take home the title this year and they should be considered the favourites, but outside Day, Speith, and McIlroy, who else should be considered?
Here is how I see it….
Top 10 Contenders outside the top 3
- Dustin Johnson He has finished in the top 4 in both the last 2 US opens and finished 5th last week at the St. Jude’s. Finished T4 at the Masters and 3rd at the Memorial.
- Hideki Matsuyama Seems to always be in contention in the big events. T10 in the 2013 US Open was his best finish in this event. T7 at the Masters and T7 at the Players this year shows he likes the big stage.
- Justin Rose Has three top 10’s in his last six events. The 2013 champ finished T10 in 2007 at Oakmont.
- Adam Scott Finished in the top 10 in both of the last two US Open’s and has not missed a cut this year.
- Sergio Garcia Won the Byron Nelson a few weeks ago and has four top 10’s in the US Open.
- Matt Kuchar Has finished T12 in the last two US Open’s and has finished in the top six his last four events.
- Brooks Koepka His best US Open finish was a T4 in 2014 and is coming off a playoff loss at the Byron Nelson and a T2 finish at the St. Jude’s last week.
- Retief Goosen The two time champion has finished T14, T12, and T12 in his last 3 events and they were all contested on difficult courses.
- Daniel Berger He won last week so there may be a letdown after his first tour victory, but he has been playing well for a while with a T10 at the Masters and a T9 at the Players.
- Lee Westwood He has five top 10’s in US Opens and has three top 10’s in his last 4 events including a T2 at the Masters.
- Rickie Fowler
- Phil Mickelson
- Chris Wood
- Billy Horschel
Enjoy the golf! Rob
Rob Brandon, Director of Operations, Cardinal Golf Club